Hair Science

Trichology (study of the hair and scalp)

When Brian Plunkett ART MIT, a member of the Institute of Trichologists and Founder of Trichocare Diagnostics Limited started to see unsafe hair hygiene advice circulating in the food industry, he was concerned enough to put pen to paper and create a first, definitive Food, Hygiene and Hair guide.

The findings confirmed that there are many more aspects to hair hygiene control than the simplistic solution of fully encasing the hair, which some in the industry continue to advocate.

Food, Hygiene and Hair

You can get your FREE copy of ‘Food, Hygiene & Hair’ and see first hand, the findings of Brian Plunkett MIT.


Request a Copy

Hairnets, Trichology and Comfort

So, how does hair grow and fall?

At any given time, approximately 90% of human hair is growing. These hairs are at no normal risk of being shed. The remaining 10% that are resting do give some concern to hygiene critical environments.

Whilst it is factually correct that the human scalp may shed around 100 hairs per day, it is not the case that this occurs at a constant rate throughout the day. The majority of natural, daily human hair loss is predictable and occurs when hairs that are ready for shedding are agitated through grooming processes such as washing, brushing and drying.

For the most part hairs about to be shed remain stably attached to the scalp; they do not need overbearing coverings. This would be counter-productive and interfere with the natural temperature control of the head; leading to the wearer touching and adjusting headwear in the factory environment.

With this in mind, when double layering headwear, it is important that  products work together to aid moisture transportation, otherwise overheating can occur, especially in warm environments.

Hairnets function to provide a breathable, precautionary restraint against the minority of hairs that can remain precariously attached to the scalp between those times when cleansing and brushing activities occur.

Intelligently Designed

Taking all of the above in to account, we follow 3 principles when designing our range:-

Principle 1 – Quality

Most hair shedding is caused by natural agitations such as brushing, washing and drying actions. Remaining, non-growing hairs should be retained and controlled by good quality products, with consistent mesh sizes and durable elastics.

Principle 2 – Comfort

Touching and fidgeting are forms of agitation that will dislodge otherwise stable hair. Comfortable products, using Oeko-Tex®️ Class 1 and moisture wicking yarns, should be used. Finally, lay flat headbands, should distribute pressure to avoid skin indentation and discomfort.

Principle 3 – Size

One size fits all should fit 98% of operatives; therefore, when worn in the correct way, our products should fully cover hair (as stated in BRC guidelines) and fit the majority of wearers.

Our products are produced with you, and the environment, in mind.

Hair Security

Comfort Fit

Moisture Wicking Yarn

Flame Resistant Yarn